Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Audrey Niffenegger's masterpiece XD


Title: The time traveller’s wife
Author: Audrey Niffenegger

The time traveller’s wife is a book that will stick with you long after the last page has been turned. This book was recommended to me by my friend Amritha when she saw that I had nothing better to do: P

The moment I saw the cover, I was seized with a nameless fear. The book seemed to ooze a “hey, I am a headache inducing book which you will have to give your entire attention span to” feel. Reading the back did not help one single bit. Considering that I had just finished reading a masterpiece of Wodehousian Insouciance before this, it was with apprehension that I picked up the book. Guess what. This is still a book that you will have to devote your entire attention span to :P (something i discovered when I tried to juggle this book and a peanut butter sandwich simultaneously ;) ) Thankfully, however, this book will not have you reaching out for the nearest strip of aspirin. Au contraire, it takes you on a magical journey of time, longing and bonding that will keep you so engrossed that the red ants will thanks you as they gleefully raid the open peanut butter bottle!

This story tells the tale of Henry and Clare. Henry suffers from a genetic disorder which causes him to take involuntary jaunts in time. Clare and henry meet when she is six and he, thirty six. Thus they begin a life of attachment and separation as they ceaselessly struggle to lead a normal life.

Audrey Niffenegger weaves and blends together wonder,romance,humour and tragedy as smoothly as a chocolatier blends cocoa butter with milk in a book that is intensly moving and entirely unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment